Featured Banner Image

Featured Banner Image

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Good Gouache! The art of Maira Kalman


I first encountered the wonderful gouache illustrations by Maira Kalman in a children's book I was reading to my daughter about a poet dog named Max many years ago. I was instantly smitten with her work. She has an uncanny way of capturing the essence of people and their personalties using exaggerated forms. She illustrated a book (appropriately titled for our ComDes majors) Stay Up Late which is a David Byrne and Talking Heads song that is utterly charming as well. She recently illustrated a blog for the New York Times that has been published in the book, The Principles of Uncertainty. She was married to the infamous, late designer/provocateur Tibor Kalman. Looking at her work makes me want to get out those dried up tubes of gouache and start painting.